Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Apples


With all of my delicious Jonathan apples, Chelsea and I decided to have a festive fall dinner.  Of course the first place I looked for apple recipes was The Food Network.  I found an awesome Sweet Potato, Apple and Bacon Hash from Anne Burrell whose show I've really started liking.  Here is the recipe.  Instead of green pumpkin seeds because we didn't know what those were, we just used regular pumpkin seeds and it turned out great.  Also, we used Maple bacon to give it that extra sweetness.  This was a great dish that I will definitely be making again.  Chelsea did mention that she would have like the apples a little crunchier.  The apples instead were very soft and sweet, so you could probably wait a couple more minutes before throwing in the apples.  

I had bought some sweet pickled beets at Kuipers farm, so we threw together a quick salad with beets, thinly sliced apples, feta, walnuts and spinach.  Then we topped it with salt, pepper, lemon and olive oil and mixed it all up.  It was very good and a good "marrying" (Anne Burrell would be proud) of the flavors.  

Chelsea cooked the pork over the stovetop.  I'm always nervous I don't cook meat long enough so I left her in charge of the meat.  She just crusted it a bit with salt, pepper and olive oil.  It was very good and made the meal complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment