Tuesday, February 22, 2011

David Burke's Primehouse

I'm really enjoying Restaurant Week in Chicago!  Kevin, Stephan, Kerry and I had reservations last night at David Burke's Primehouse in The James Hotel.  We arrived a little bit early so we sat near the reception at The James on comfy couches.  There were a few drink ladies running around and they were super quick getting you your drink.  I tried the Mojito Diego!  It was excellent.  Plus, they had little munchies in the lounge area including truffled chocolate cayenne pepper popcorn (i'm going to try to recreate and when I do, I will post my recipe) and some good thin breadsticks dipped in chili oil. 

We sat down at our table not long after our reservation time (7:30pm) so I was happy about that and they brought out neat flaky rolls for each of us at the table.  The restaurant wasn't as swanky as I thought it would be but relatively plain.  We all ordered off of the prix fixe menu while Kevin and Stephan upgraded their ribeyes to 55 day dry-aged steak.  For appetizers, between the 3 of us there were surf and turf dumplings, lobster bisque and a wedge salad.  All great!  I chose the Steak Burker as my entree which was a 40 day aged steak burger. It was great but I was already pretty full after all of my snacking.  After my mojito was finished I tried the Lychee martini.  Not as good as the mojito.  I really really liked that mojito.  Kevin tried some rye martini of theirs - I didn't like it but Kevin did. For dessert I had the pineapple upside down cake with a sorbet on the side.  Nothing special about it, but it was good.  Kevin and Kerry both had the chai creme brulee.  I love creme brulee, but I'm not sure I liked the mixture of the two flavors. 

Lychee Martini

fancy roll :)

55 day dry-aged ribeye

Steak Burker - 40 day dry-aged
After dinner Stephan asked if we could see where they dry age the meat.  The manager took us through the kitchen and down into the room where they do this.  It was awesome.  They have an entire wall filled with Himalayan salt and then just meat on racks.  I took pics! They also have one slab of rib meat that has been aging in there since 2006.  It was hard as rock! 

Kevin in front of the on their way to 75 day dry-aged steaks

this was put in the room on 2/2/11


this steak was entered in the salt room on 10/10/06!

Stephan in front of the salt wall


No comments:

Post a Comment